The Town Walls
From the North side one can see the town wall, with the site of the archery fields immediately below. To the North West, the Linney - a damp riverside area - was probably used for the growing of flax in early medieval times. The town walls were built over a period of 50 years from about 1260, with seven original gates. Now only the Broad Gate remains.